Personal Care Attendant (PCA)
A Personal Touch to Personal Care
PCA Vaccine Mandate Information
MassHealth recently sent out a communication to all Consumers, Surrogates, and PCAs regarding the PCA vaccine requirement.
Vaccine Attestation forms should NOT be sent to MassHealth, PCMs, or FIs. Instead, individual Consumer-employers and PCAs may retain these attestation forms for their own records, as needed.
If you have vaccine related questions, please contact the LTSS Provider Service Center, as they are prepared to take these calls:
- Phone: 1-844-368-5184
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you or a loved one is a MassHealth member who receives hands-on support from a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) but are struggling to access these services during the COVID-19 outbreak, call the MassOptions hotline at 1-844-422-6277.
Personal care assistance is provided in the home to people with disabilities or chronic disabling disease who need assistance with activities of daily living.
A Personal Care Attendant (PCA) is a person who does things for you that you are physically unable to do yourself. A PCA also helps you do things that would take an exceptionally long time to do on your own. The duties of the PCA vary, depending on the nature of your disability and your daily schedule.
PCAs can assist with laundry, shopping or housekeeping. PCAs can also help with other special needs such as maintaining wheelchairs or transportation to medical appointments.
- Help with bathing or grooming
- Help with dressing and undressing
- Mobility, such as transfer, walking or using equipment to get around
- Taking medications
- Range of motion exercises (passive range of motion: physically assisting a member to perform range of motion exercises.
- Eating: physically assisting a member to eat, including assistance with tube feeding and special nutritional and dietary needs.
- Toileting: physical help with bowel and bladder needs/care.
The individual is responsible for hiring, firing, training and managing his or her own Personal Care Assistant (PCA). The consumer is the employer and the PCA is the employee.