Employment and Volunteering
Experience the Joys of Doing Great Work, and Make a Few Friends Along the Way.
Scroll Down to View Current Employment Opportunities:
- Community Resource Supervisor
- Geriatric Support Service Coordinator
- Home Delivered Meal Drivers
- Per Diem Registered Nurse
WestMass ElderCare is a dynamic human service agency comprised of a caring, competent and professional staff. Direct care staff receive satisfaction from providing needed services to elders and disabled individuals in our area. Support staff know that they provide the necessary infrastructure to make WestMass ElderCare’s mission a reality. In addition to a salary commensurate with the responsibilities and qualifications necessary for the job, the following benefits are provided for full time staff:
- Health Insurance – Three generous plans to choose from.
- Dental Insurance for the employee and eligible family members at no cost to the employee.
- Tax Shelter Annuity – the agency will match up to 7% of the employee’s salary.
- Retirement Program – a defined contribution plan at no cost to the employee.
- Life insurance policy equivalent to annual salary at no cost to the employee.
- Generous vacation accrual.
- Generous sick time accrual.
- Two personal days after the first year of employment.
- Twelve paid holidays.
- Pre-tax deductions for medical and child care expenses.
- Regular in-services and training opportunities.
- Travel reimbursement at the current IRS allowable deduction rate.
- A full time work week of 35 hours.
WestMass ElderCare has a variety of volunteer and internship (unpaid) opportunities which improve the quality of life of the individuals we serve. Internship opportunities are available for Bachelor level social workers, Registered Nurses and Nutrition students. Contact our Human Resources Department to discuss your interests at 413 538-9020 or email email@example.com
An Ombudsman visits residents of area nursing and rest homes every week to hear their concerns. They help to promote the belief that each of us has the right to a quality life, and that this right should be protected. Ombudsmen also believe that through their efforts, they can make a difference in the life of someone who needs them. Ombudsmen (Scandinavian word meaning representative of the people) are trained and certified by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs. He/she receives and investigates complaints, in confidence, on behalf of residents, their families and other interested parties. They provide information and referral to connect people with available long term care and community resources.
A Money Management Volunteer assists low income, frail elders with paying bills, writing checks, budgeting and balancing a checkbook. The goal is to facilitate the elder’s continued at-home, independent lifestyle.
WestMass ElderCare is an EOE/AA Employer.
COMMUNITY RESOURCE SUPERVISOR
Position Summary:The Community Resource Supervisor is responsible for the Agency activities related to the maintenance and dissemination of information regarding services and programs available to elders, persons with disabilities and caregivers. She/he holds a central position in directing intake, assessment, counseling and referral of elders and persons with disabilities and their caregivers who seek information and/or services. She/he will coordinate closely with management and staff members of all Agency departments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide appropriate support, supervision, training, direction and appraisals of the Community Resource Specialists.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with all Agency departments and community organizations.
- Recommends effective procedures for directing referrals and assuring appropriate disposition and follow up of all I&R calls, electronic referrals and requests for information/assistance.
- May be the first point of contact for professionals, and individuals and families seeking support and information on available community service options.
- Is a resource to agency staff; networking to acquire information on new supports and services available and researching specific services information needed and requested by agency staff.
- Informs staff when information on community resources are available that may benefit their program members.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses the ability and willingness to support the goals and policies of WestMass ElderCare; and has the ability to interpret, understand and adhere to the regulations, standards and procedures as set forth by the Agency, he Executive Office of Elder Affairs, and the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
- Must possess a Bachelors Degree in Social Work or a human service field. (Three or more years experience in an ASAP setting and a license in social work preferred.)
- Previous experience in Home Care desirable.
- Bilingual-bicultural Hispanic preferred.
- Must possess leadership and supervisory experience and the willingness to work harmoniously with professional and non-professional personnel.
- Must possess strong organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Geriatric Support Service Coordinator
The Geriatric Support Service Coordinator serves as Bi-Lingual/Bicultural Care manager. He/She engages in activities designed toward eliminating barriers and improving the conditions and well-being of Hispanic clients. The GSSC as a member of the interdisciplinary elder care team is an integral component of the community care and long-term care management system for clients. The GSSC is directly involved in the processes of assessment, service planning and coordination, advocacy, problem solving, and gatekeeping.
As a member of the Primary Care Team (PCT), (physician, RN, or physician assistant) he/she participates in the initial and ongoing assessments of the health and functional status of enrollees, including determining appropriateness for institutional long term care services and developing community-based care plans and related service packages necessary to improve or maintain an enrollee’s health and functional status.
- Possesses a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant social service field from an accredited college and two years’ professional experience in the care of persons over the age of 65, with at least one year involving work in a setting where persons over 65 receive health-care services.
- License in Social Work preferred.
- Of Hispanic cultural and linguistic background, with the ability to communicate effectively in English and Spanish (orally and written). Please send resume to: email@example.com or Director of Human Resources, 4 Valley Mill Road, Holyoke, MA 01040. No phone calls please. AA/EOE
Home Delivered Meal Drivers
Paid Part Time – Work that makes a Difference!
This is more than a job. It is an opportunity to be of services to those in need.
Regular and substitue drivers are needed to deliver meals to home bound clients in Chicopee and Holyoke.
In addition to delivering the meals, the driver is an important contact for these elders with WestMass ElderCare, the Agency that provides services to these elders assisting them in staying in their homes. Drivers generally work between 10:15AM and 1:00PM.
- Drivers may be volunteers or paid staff members
- A valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle,
- A good driving record and commitment to the job/consumers are required.
If you would like to join the Home Delivered Meal team of drivers as a regular driver or substitute, please send email with your name and address to: firstname.lastname@example.org AA/EOE
Per Diem Registered Nurse
The Per Diem Registered Nurse participates in screening potential program participants in their homes and provides on-going monitoring and support to program participants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assesses the consumer’s physical and cognitive condition and resulting functional limitations to determine the consumer’s ability to benefit from personal care assistance services.
- Provides an initial determination of the scope and type of personal care services to be provided to consumers. Accurately represents the consumer’s need for physical assistance with ADL’s and IADL’s.
- Schedules and provides yearly re-evaluation of consumers according to timeliness set forth in regulations.
- Completes the Mass Health application for PCA services including calculating units when requesting prior authorization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Diploma from an accredited school of nursing, B.S.N. (preferred).
- Valid license to practice as a registered nurse in the Commonwealth of MA.
- An understanding and acceptance of the role of the Registered Nurse at WestMass ElderCare which includes:
- Referral to appropriate agency and/or service
- Teaching as it applies to skills training Please send resume to: email@example.com. (e-mail preferred) or Director of Human Resources, 4 Valley Mill Road, Holyoke, MA 01040. No phone calls please. AA/EOE